The is the second part of my night cooking 2 dinners – my dinner of Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. It doesn’t look like much while cooking it, but it tasted much better than I thought it would!
I used the recipe from One Green Planet but made some adjustments according to my breastfeeding baby’s strict diet. The link is directly to their website/recipe. I’ll post the full recipe here as well, and add in my adjustments :-).
- 8 ounces uncooked ribbon noodles (I used brown rice rotini)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour, divided (I used almond flour)
- 2 cups beefless beef broth or vegetable broth (just stuck with vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (replaced with coconut aminos)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste (eliminated)
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (half Portobello and half White Button mushrooms), cut into large 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (I did 1 tsp)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage (I did 1 tsp)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream (optional) (eliminated)
- 10 turns of fresh ground, black pepper
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Cook the noodles per the direction on the package. Under cook them a bit because they will be cooked again once incorporated into the sauce.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and sauté the onions for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. (I also added corn starch to help thicken it since I use almond flour)
- Gradually add the broth, soy sauce, lemon juice, and tomato paste (I eliminated this), while stirring at the same time. Stir until mixture becomes thick and bubbly, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, sage, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until mushrooms have shrunk in size.
- Add the vinegar and simmer for 4 more minutes.
- Add the noodles, sour cream (eliminated), 1 tablespoon of flour, black pepper, and parsley and cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
I also topped this with the asparagus I made in the previous post and avocado, diced.